3 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion chopped
3 carrots or 1/2 bag baby carrots chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
4 cloves fresh pressed garlic
1 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. curry powder
1 can - (28) ounces fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 cup red lentils
1/2 cup green lentils
4 cups low sodium organic vegetable broth
2 cups water
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 handful spinach
1/2 lemon, freshly pressed
1. In a large Dutch oven add the olive oil over low to medium heat.
2. Press the garlic into the pot add celery, onions, and carrots cook for about 5 minutes. (I use a food processor to chop my veggies).
3. Add the basil, cumin, curry powder, and pepper and stir the spices.
4. Add the drained fire roasted tomatoes and stir. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the broth and water. Mix and then add the lentils, stir together.
6. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Keep the pot lid slightly vented so steam can escape.
7. Simmer for 30 minutes, until the lentils are almost cooked.
8. Take 2 cups of the soup out and mix it in your blender and then pour back into the soup. Or use an immersion blender and slightly blend the soup.
9. Cook for another 10 minutes until lentils are soft.
10. Use a lemon squeezer and add the lemon juice to taste.
11. Add the spinach in before serving.
Recipe by Laura London at https://lauralondonfitness.com/vegan-lentil-soup/