What Body Type Are You? Ectomorph, Mesomorph & Endomorph
Body Type – Knowing your body type can have a huge impact on your weight loss. When you know your body type you can adjust your training so that it is more effective and efficient. Understanding your body will also help you work with your body, not against it.
We are all different and our bodies respond differently to diet and exercise. What might work for your best friend may not work for you and that may be because you both have different body types and need to do things differently from each other.
It can be very frustrating when you see someone losing weight and you are not, especially when you seem to be doing all the right things. Hormones also play a large role in women’s weight loss as well as knowing your body type.
There are three main body types, Ectomorph, Mesomorph, and Endomorph. While most of us are not 100% for a specific body type, we tend to be a combination of two body types. However, you will find that you may fit into one category better than another.
Body types are a great guide to use in your fat loss journey. They will give you a good idea of how to adjust your workouts and nutrition plans. Body type is a combination of your bone structure, bone density, and musculature, which are genetically pre-determined.
Hot and Healthy Body Type 1 – Ectomorph
Long and lean body type. Angular frame narrow through the hips, shoulders, and torso. Ectomorphs can have difficulty gaining weight or putting on muscle.
- Skinny or long and lean arms and legs
- Lightly muscled
- Small joints/bone
- Low body fat
- Small shoulders, chest & booty
- Difficulty gaining weight
- Fast metabolism
- Difficulty gaining muscle
Most common mistakes Ectomorphs make are not using heavy enough weights, not eating enough carbs and over training A.K.A “Cardio Queens”.
Ectomorph Training Tips
- Train with moderate to heavy weights in the 6 -10 rep
- Take longer rest breaks 2-3 minute between sets
- Do compound weightlifting movements
- Don’t do too much a lot of cardio, HIIT cardio is great
Famous Ectomorphs – Natalie Portman, Taylor Swift, Kate Middleton and Cameron Diaz.
Hot and Healthy Body Type 2 – Mesomorph
You gain weight evenly in the arms, chest, hips, legs, and booty. You have an athletic body type and your body responds well to eating a healthy diet and exercise.
- Wide shoulders and hips with a narrow waist
- Naturally lean
- Naturally muscular
- Medium size joints/bones
- Naturally strong
- Body fat evenly distributed
- Lose fat easily with diet and exercise
- Gains muscle easy
Mesomorph Training Tips
- Training in the 8-12 repetition rep range
- 30-1 min rest periods between sets
- Enough cardio to stay lean but not a ton
Famous Mesomorphs – Jennifer Garner, Anna Kournikova, Serena Williams, Halle Berry
Hot and Healthy Body Type 3 – Endomorph
Fuller, softer body type. Put on muscle fairly easily but struggle with fat loss. Most people in this type have a slow metabolism
- Gains muscle easily, but tends to be underdeveloped
- Medium/large joins/bones
- Higher levels of body fat
- Small shoulders, high waist and large hips creating a pear-shaped physique
- Weight is carried in abdomen area
- Difficult to keep lost body fat off
- Slower metabolic rate
- Attacks of tiredness/fatigue
- Lose weight slowly
- Carb sensitive, tend to bloat easily
Most common mistakes Ectomorphs make is not training at a high enough intensity for their body type. Not eating consistently throughout the day. Not doing enough fast paced weight training.
Endomorph Training Tips
- Train in the 15+ repetition range
- Take short periods of rest between sets – 30-45 seconds
- Get your cardio in
- Do compound weight training to burn more calories
Famous Endomorphs – Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez Sophia Vergara Marilyn Monroe